I reflect a lot on how my life is going, mainly so I can be sure to give course corrections when needed. And often in the media today, I see a person’s journey framed as a balancing act.
I have even written about it in such terms myself.
But today I wanted to reframe this discussion: less about how a person moves through life, and more about what makes up that person.
People as Soup
How do you describe yourself, i.e. on a dating profile? Or how do you think your friends describe you to others?
How do you feel fully yourself? What goes into the mix?
For me, it’s:
- a gallon of quiet time alone
- a quart and a dollop of quiet writing time (alone)
- 1 medium hunk social engagement (a social job or personal friend time may be substituted), chopped
- 2 c exercise, when other ingredients fully absorbed, roughly chopped
- 1 T travel, preferably to a foreign country, freshly grated
- 3 1/4 c consuming (reading is best, but up to 3/4 c can be substituted by video, theatre, and music)
- 2 medium hunks self care, in the form of cooking healthy foods for myself, sliced thinly
- 1 T something new and unexpected (check your freezer)
- dashes of appreciation, validation, and hugs really make this recipe sing
- don’t forget to let mixture rest for 8 hours each time after cooking
Simmer together and season to taste.
Maybe I turn out more of a baked good than a soup??
But what’s in your recipe for feeling fully yourself? This might be a fun party idea…
Images via Wikimedia Commons and Crushable